Note: This article only applies to Content Publishers, Community Admins, Brand Super Admins, or applicable custom roles. For more details on Studio access, please refer to the Defining Roles and Restrictions article.
All customers should test for email success as outlined here. Firstup emails are relevant to all communities, regardless of deployment and content strategy. Successful email delivery and rendering will help drive maximum adoption, engagement, and supportability. Here is a sample of the emails that are sent to both your Members and Studio users:
- User submission notifications to Studio users
- Invitations for Members
- Invitations to Studio for new Studio users
- Password resets for users that sign in via email
- Direct emails from Firstup staff including Support, Customer Success Managers, Strategic Advisors, and others
How to Test for Email Delivery & Rendering Success
This email delivery and rendering test can be completed at any time, all you need for this test is publishing access to Studio and a technical contact at your company that can help review how the email is received.
The following instructions are intended to reveal a range of email issues that can impact both Studio users and end-users. By conducting this test, you do not need to individually test every email the community might send to users.
- Sign in to Studio.
- Navigate to the Configure page and then the Email alias tab and create a custom from address. Use your company's domain. For example, if your work email is email@example.com, create a custom from address such as firstname.lastname@example.org
- Create an email campaign in Studio that contains content, such as a newsletter.
- Change the sender of the campaign to the custom sender that you configured earlier.
- Send the email campaign to a test user/s on the Review page. Test emails can be sent to any user, including Members.
- Confirm that the email is received and that all images render.
- Confirm that clicking on a link in the email will open the correct content in the member experience.
- If testing iOS link behavior, access the email via Apple Mail or Safari.
Issue with Email Delivery
If the test emails are NOT received:
- Consider the following solutions:
- If you need to confirm that the email was sent by Firstup, please contact Support and let them know the following:
- the email of the test user
- which email was sent to them (a link to the campaign in Studio is greatly appreciated)
- how did you trigger the email - did you activate the campaign or use "Test in email"?
- when was the email sent to your test user
- Once Firstup confirms that the test email was sent, further investigation will need to be completed by your internal technology team. We are not able to detect security interventions such as email quarantine, routing to a spam folder, etc. We are happy to confirm that our system sent any additional test emails and provide email header information to assist with tracking the emails.
Issue with Email Rendering
If the emails ARE received by your test user, but there is still an issue with the email:
- If you are using Outlook and have an image rendering issue, please review the following:
- Outlook for Windows does not support round image corners. Round corners will render correctly in all other supported email clients.
- Attempting to download an attachment or watch a video in a test email will result in an error. The download and video playback will no longer result in an error once the campaign has been published.
- All Studio campaign font sizes are in pixels, px (not points, pt).
- For additional troubleshooting, contact Firstup Support. Information to consider providing:
- description of the issue behavior with a screenshot (if possible)
- device information - what is the computer OS information, what email software are you using (including version), etc.
- a copy of the issue email if possible (download or save as EML or MSG)
- how did you trigger the email - did you schedule a smart campaign, did you activate an email campaign, did you use "create test email"?
- a link to the campaign in Studio
Issue with Link Behavior
If you are experiencing an issue with how the link opens in the iOS mobile app, please refer to Why Don't Links Open in the iOS Mobile App?