What Are Shortcuts?
Note: This article only applies to customers with access to the member experience and, therefore, does not apply to email-only customers.
Shortcuts were designed to easily connect your users to important services, websites, and applications that the majority of your workforce uses on a regular basis. Your users can access four Shortcuts at the top of the web experience.
By default, these four Shortcuts take the user to other areas of the web experience such as Featured content, Latest feed, Trending content, and either Discover or Resources. Brand Super Admins can customize the Shortcuts in Studio to link users to important services, websites, or applications such as payroll, timesheets, expenses, branding, or intranet pages. Shortcuts could also be used to link to other areas of the web experience.
Image showing where the Shortcuts are located on the web experience:
Related Feature Comparison:
- Resources are a light repository of your company documents, communications, and links. Resources are presented as content cards in a feed available in both the web experience and mobile app. Each content card can be open to all users or targeted to specific audiences.
- Shortcuts help your web users quickly access your top four services, web pages, or applications. The same four Shortcuts appear to all web experience users. Shortcuts are not available to mobile users and can not be targeted.
- Targeted Link Collections help your web users quickly access a list of your most important company services, websites, and applications. Unlike Shortcuts, Targeted Link Collections can be targeted to specific audiences and are available in both the mobile app and web experience under your digital assistant.
- Command Integrations provide in-platform access and functionality for integrated systems (grab your PTO directly from within the community!).
Shortcut Strategic Considerations
There are only four Shortcuts and they will appear to all of your users. So, think of the top services, websites, and applications that most commonly used across your workforce and customize them accordingly. Examples of Shortcuts:
- HR System - PTO balances, pay stubs, etc.
- Travel services
- Time tracking
- Salesforce or other related CRMs
- Marketing platforms
- Branding websites
- File sharing tools like Google, Dropbox or Box
- Asset management systems
- Other pages within the web experience - such as Assistant Integrations
If your community is using Resources to help users find important content, we recommend that you leave at least one Shortcut pointing to Resources. Resources are targeted, so if you link all users to Resources when they land on that page they see content relevant to them. If you do remove Resources from the Shortcuts, Resources can still be accessed on the web experience or mobile app by opening the stack icon.
If you have specific services, websites, and applications that are only relevant to specific audiences, consider using Resources or Targeted Link Collections instead.
Note: Only the default Shortcuts (Featured, Latest, Trending, and Discover/Resources) will be localized to the user's browser's language setting. If you set a custom Shortcut, it will not be translated. You can use Resources or Targeted Link Collections to translate and target.
Sign in to Studio as a Brand Super Admin or an applicable custom role. To access the Shortcut configuration, open Studio and navigate to Configure > Experience > Shortcuts.
Scroll down to the Quick Links section.
Click on a quick link to edit the name, description, URL, and/or image. Character limits and image requirements are displayed in Studio. The icon is displayed at 30 x 30 pixels, but we recommend up to 100 x 100 pixels for better resolution.
Check the box to open the URL link in new tab. Use Convert to Greyscale to help your icon blend in with the existing defaults.
When you are done updating the Shortcut, save your changes by clicking Done. Allow a few minutes for the web experience to update with any changes.
Click Reset All to restore all four Shortcuts to the default configuration.
You cannot remove any Shortcuts or add more Shortcuts - there are only four Shortcuts.
Measure Shortcut Success
We have a specific report for measuring the success of your Shortcuts. To access this report, please navigate to Insights and look for the Quick Link Overview report.
User activity is expressed in Clicks.