Why an email newsletter? Emails can be sent to members of your community regardless of registration status. An email newsletter can link to external content or other campaigns in your community that have been previously published - pulling your user in with a variety of posts.
How to Create an Email Newsletter
This article will walk you through how to create and publish an email newsletter starting from a template. For an overview of all campaign creation options, please refer to Create a New Campaign.
- Sign in to Studio.
- Click Create.
- Select the Weekly Newsletter template.
- To edit your newsletter title, double-click on the title. From the pop-up menu, you can edit your text, as well as convert it to a link.
- To update the background and font colors for a rich text block, hover over the block and click on the Paint icon.
- From the Design panel, you will be able to style the block uniquely. This will apply your changes to this block only.
You can select the Paint icon on the left-side if the screen to switch to the Global Styles panel if you want to apply changes to your entire campaign. Changes made on the Global Styles panel will be applied to all content blocks not already styled uniquely.
- To update a block containing an image, hover over the block and select the pencil icon.
- On the Content panel, click + Add an Image. You will have options to upload an image, select one from the image library, or link to an image URL. For this example, we will select one from the image library.
- Browse all images or select one from a category.
- From the Content panel, you can also link your image to a URL and add alt text.
- To update the text to compliment your image, double-click on the text field. Learn how to personalize your text in this article!
- To update a link block to include links to outside websites or other content published in your community, hover over the block and click the pencil icon.
- On the Content panel, you can edit the current links by clicking the gear icon, remove the current links by clicking the trash icon, or add additional links by clicking + Add Links. Click the 6 dots to the left of the link to adjust the order in when they appear.
You can add an add an external link:
Link to an existing piece of content:
- To update an external rich text link, place your cursor next to the link in the text block and select the pencil icon from the menu that populates.
- Update your link and click Update to apply the new link to your newsletter.
- To delete a block you do not need, hover over the block and click the trash can icon.
- To edit the footer with your company information, place your cursor in the text box and start typing.
- Click the Cover tab to update your newsletter cover preferences and preview how the cover will appear in multiple channels.
- Click the Preview tab to view the preview for your desired channel/s and send a test campaign.
- Click Deliver to move on to the Deliver settings for your newsletter. Your Deliver settings will determine how to reach your target audience. For an email newsletter, you will need to assign an audience to target your newsletter to.
Generally, we recommend trusting Intelligent Delivery to reach users where they are most likely to engage. However, for email newsletters, you can deselect the additional channels to ensure that your newsletter is delivered via only the email channel.
Note: The campaign will still appear in the For You section in the mobile app and web experience.
Note: The Channels section will only display the Email channel for email-only customers.
- Once you have made your Deliver settings selections, click Review in the bottom right corner to review your campaign summary and projected delivery.
- Then schedule and click Publish to publish the campaign, or Content Creators can save the campaign as a draft for review by selecting the Save icon at the top right.
What Members See
Newsletters appear under a content card in one of the feed views in the web experience.
Clicking on the associated content card will immediately open a new view. In this view, you can access the newsletter, bookmark the newsletter, and add likes. You can also interact with the comments and share the newsletter(if these features are enabled in Deliver).
Newsletters also appear under a content card in one of the feed views in the mobile app experience.
Tapping on the content card will open a new view. In this view, you can access the newsletter, bookmark the newsletter, and add likes. You can also interact with the comments and share the newsletter (if these features are enabled in Deliver).
Newsletters appear in email similar to how they appear in the web experience. Clicking on a link will take you to either the externally linked page or require a login to the web experience to view Studio-created content.