Firstup's Language Guide is a way to provide community content creators with writing suggestions. Use rules to keep content on-brand, increase the use of inclusive language, and create more consistency in your organization’s writing.
In Studio, customers with this premium feature will have the option to set up a series of language rules, with suggested replacement text and explanations on why the change is recommended.
There are many use cases for company language guides, but a few common applications are for company branding, use of idioms/abbreviations/generally unclear language, & inclusive language.
Note: Currently, the Language Guide can only be configured for Studio, not the web or mobile app experience.
How to Configure the Language Guide
- Sign in to Studio as an Administrator or Community Manager.
- Click the Configure button at the bottom of the menu on the left and then select the Language Guide tile.
- Click the + Rule button.
- To create a new rule, provide:
Originial Text - When these terms are found, a replacement will be suggested.
Note: Any text that you enter here will be recognized as written, including foreign languages and special characters. The system will watch for these terms within quotations, as well as both upper and lower-case versions of the words. The system, however, will not watch for partial matches of a word.
Suggested text - This term will be suggested as a replacement when instances of the original text are found.
Rule Explanation - Context or instructions for applying the rule.
- Once you have provided information for each field, click the Save button to add your rule to the Language Guide.
View, Edit or Delete Rules
- Created rules will be listed on the Language Guide page with an available search option.
- To edit or delete a rule, click on the three vertical dots to the right of the rule.
How Language Guide Suggestions Appear
Whenever you use a term in your campaign that is included in your community's Language Guide, the term will be underlined in yellow. Clicking on the underlined term will populate the replacement suggestion, as well as the rule explanation. Suggestions only appear in Studio to content creators - when submitting content from the mobile or web experience no language suggestions will appear to users.
Clicking on the suggested term in green will replace the original term.